Tuesday 4 September 2012

Millichen (if at first you don't succeed!)

Another visit to Millichen, again in hope of finding some passage migrants.


The fields and puddle known as Millichen Flood!

With the 'flood' still no bigger than a puddle and only 5 Mallard and 2 Grey Heron to be seen I concentrated on the hedgerows and overhead wires.
 
At East Millichen there were 62 Collared Dove sitting on wires with a further 43+ perched in a lone tree and coming down into the fields and hedgerows - a potential record count of at least 105 birds!
 
Poor record shot of some of the Collared Doves to be seen at East Millichen
 
A scan of these hedgerows with my 'scope resulted in c60 House Sparrow, 4 Tree Sparrow, 1 Whinchat, 2 Yellowhammer and 1 Whitethroat being seen.
 
The 'tree and hedgerows' at East Millichen Farm

Other birds of note, among the twenty four seen in just under 3 hours, were at least 25 Swallow and 1 Grey Wagtail feeding in one of the drainage ditches/realigned burn.

The most memorable sighting has to be the Roe Deer that was totally oblivious to my presence. At one stage it headed straight for me as if it planned to jump the gate I was standing behind when I moved slightly and it veered off at the last moment!

Roe Deer at East Millichen before it headed straight for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment