Tuesday 15 May 2012

Milngavie-West Highland Way Circular Walk

On Saturday (12th), I spent some 7 hours walking and birding along a nice scenic route just north of Glasgow. From Milngavie Station I walked along the West Highland Way (WHW) stopping at Craigallion Loch for some great views of Whinchat, Sedge Warbler and Tree Pipit. Leaving the loch, I soon reached the huts at Carbeth and turning right, I followed paths through Craigallion Woods. Initially the path was very muddy but soon I came upon a much wider, upgraded path which has been created partly, I assume, to help with the removal of some timber from the woods. This path emerged opposite an entry to Mugdock Country Park; from here I visited the castle before making my way back down to the WHW and Milngavie Station.

In total, I saw 33 species of bird plus two types of butterfly. Some images follow:

Craigallion Loch (looking north)
  
Record shot of Whinchat (nr Craigallion Loch)
  
Orange Tip (male)

Mugdock Wood

Whinchat (taken elsewhere in Scotland)









No comments:

Post a Comment