Tuesday 1 May 2012

Balgray Reservoir Revisited

Balgray Reservoir lies to the south west of Glasgow, between Newton Mearns and Barrhead.



 From 1987 to 2000 it was my 'local patch' and I spent many happy hours surveying and generally looking for new or unusual birds. I have personally seen or heard 143 bird species at the Reservoir (and its immediate surrounding countryside) including rarities such as Spotted Sandpiper, Alpine Swift and American Wigeon. Since moving away from the area, I still manage to visit a few times each year and I am never disappointed.

Today, I saw 36 species of bird including a reasonable number of summer migrants - Common Sandpiper, Swallow, Sand Martin, House Martin, Willow Warbler (photo follows)


and White Wagtail (record shot follows).


As well as the summer migrants there appeared to be a small number of Meadow Pipits moving through and I also had good views of Linnet and Reed Bunting



Perhaps the most unusual sighting was a Shelduck resting on the island alongside 5 Goosander, a pair of Lapwing and a pair of Oystercatcher - distant record shot of Shelduck and 2 of the Goosander follows.


The Reservoir can sometimes appear devoid of birds but if you are patient you will normally be rewarded.






No comments:

Post a Comment