Sunday 6 May 2012

Foxes, Ravens, Buzzards & Roe Deer

Where would you go to see Red Foxes, Buzzards, Ravens and Roe Deer? Yes it has to be Glasgow, or Dawsholm Park LNR to be totally accurate!
Seconds after entering the Park, on Saturday morning, I spotted a family group of foxes (eventually 4 in total) one of which I managed to photograph...


Soon after I got a quick glimpse of a Roe Deer whilst all around me birds such as Willow Warbler, Robin, Blackbird and Dunnock were in full song. Great Tits, Blue Tits and a wheezy Greenfinch could also be heard.

I also saw and heard one of the local Ravens before it flew off to its nest.....



The main reason for my visit was to check out the 11 woodcrete nest boxes that had been erected by the Friends of Glasgow's Local Nature Reserves last year. I am pleased to report that, despite the storms, all 11 boxes survived, albeit some are a bit exposed as surrounding trees have crashed or been felled. It appears that at least 4 of the boxes are being used by Blue Tits - I'll update this over the summer (if it ever arrives).

In the midst of all of this, a pair of Buzzards circled overhead before giving great views atop a tall conifer. Other typical woodland birds included Goldcrest, Treecreeper and Mallard!


Moving on to the upper walkway, overlooking the River Kelvin, I failed again in my search for Kingfisher but had amazing views of another Red Fox before it was harried by a pair of Magpies.......


Here, I added Chiffchaff and Blackcap plus a female Mallard with 2 ducklings - later I discovered another female with 8 ducklings in the pond!

In total, I recorded 29 bird species, with my running total for the park for the year being 41.

I mentioned the Raven returning to its nest..... yet again they have raised 2 young.....


The only sad thing about today was finding out that not all dog owners realise that having 'bagged it' they should 'bin it', rather than hanging it from a railing!


No comments:

Post a Comment