Saturday 27 August 2016

Spectacular Skies, Dragons and more ........

On Wednesday, I had a super walk from Hogganfield Park LNR through Cardowan Moss LNR, ending at Frankfield Loch (a proposed LNR). The sun was shining, the sky was blue and there were some pretty impressive cloud formations .......

Hogganfield Park

Hogganfield Park

Cardowan Moss

Frankfield Loch

At Hogganfield, I noted that there were still two broods of Great Crested Grebes (B/2 and B/3). More importantly I managed to confirm that the 'BioHaven pair' were carrying at least one chick on one of the adult's back!

There were also a good few Little Grebes around and this one posed nicely ..


Moving on to Cardowan Moss LNR, I encountered a large 'mixed tit' flock moving quickly through the trees. This Long-tailed Tit was the only bird I managed to photograph!

 
Luckily, the dragonflies were more co-operative and posed nicely ....
 
Common Darter

Common Hawkers
 
This Roe Deer also seemed to accept my presence before it moved off slowly, deeper into the trees....
 
 
Reaching Frankfield Loch, I was pleased to see some mud and hoped for a few waders. There were clearly some present and after at least three attempts, I settled for a count of c200 Lapwing.
 
A few of the Lapwing flock and some Black-headed Gulls
 
Hopefully, other wading species will call in over the next few weeks.
 
So, a great walk, lots of wildlife including 38 bird species; just a pity about the vandalism at Frankfield Loch .
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment