Friday 15 March 2013

Med Gull still present!

Today, I decided to see if the Mediterranean Gull that I found on Monday was still visiting Bingham's Pond. I arrived at 14.00hrs and although there were around 35 gulls present, there was no sign of the rarity!

I had completed two 'laps' of the pond counting the Moorhen (23 in the end) and other wildfowl when the weather turned resulting in a series of hail storms! I took some shelter under some conifers and waited.........................................................

Bingham's Pond - in the hail - 15 March 2013
 
During the wait I noticed a few more gulls flying in, albeit favouring the hotel side of the pond. With my view partly restricted by the 2 islands I decided to leave my 'shelter' and walk back around to the gulls. Sure enough the Mediterranean Gull was showing well!
Two photos taken in the hail follow.........................................................
 

2nd winter Mediterranean Gull - Bingham's Pond - 15 March 2013
 
Having obtained these photos at 14.25hrs, I decided to walk home. Needless to say 10 minutes later the sun came out and it remained dry for the rest of the afternoon!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment