Monday 11 March 2013

First for Bingham's

I have been birdwatching at Bingham's Pond since 2001 and have often hoped that I would find a 'rare' bird. I have found unusual birds, or birds that would not be normally associated with a small pond in an urban area e.g. Iceland Gull, Shoveler and Skylark. However, today was the day when I found a 2nd winter Mediterranean Gull in amongst the Black-headed Gulls! Three photos follow:

 

Mediterranean Gull - Bingham's Pond - 11 March 2013
 
Many birders say you need some luck and in some ways I was lucky today. Yesterday was the day allocated to undertake the monthly wetland birds count (Webs). However, I had agreed to help out at Hogganfield Park with the monthly wildfowl feeding (see previous post). So rather than visiting the pond yesterday I paid a visit today and the rest, as they say, is history. 
 
The wildfowl count resulted in  21 Tufted Duck, 16 Mallard, 6 Coot, 24 Moorhen, 4 Goosander and the 3 domesticated /cayuga birds. Surprisingly there were no Mute Swans.
 
Drake Mallard - often ignored - Bingham's Pond - 11 March 2013
 
The gull numbers kept fluctuating as birds flew in to feed and bathe. However, I had settled on a final count of 3 Herring Gulls, 5 Lesser Black-backed Gulls, 2 Common Gulls and 142 Black-headed Gulls when something made me recount the Black-headed Gulls; AND there only a few yards away was the Mediterranean Gull - a first for Bingham's Pond!!!
 
In addition to the wetland birds, there were a pair of Long-tailed Tits and a Goldcrest flitting among the conifers.
 
In total, I recorded 18 bird species between 13.30-14.45hrs.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment