Sunday 19 July 2020

Still Birding Locally

Remember if you click on an image you can create a slide show and enhanced viewing of the photographs.

Since my last post I have continued to bird watch in Glasgow despite an 'easing' of the lockdown. This means visits to Hogganfield Park LNR, Dawsholm Park LNR and Bingham's Pond SINC (site of importance for nature conservation). In this time (2 weeks) I have recorded 54 bird species.

The star bird, Red-necked Grebe, has remained on Hogganfield Loch and I have managed a few slightly better pictures than those published in my last post!

Red-necked Grebe - Hogganfield Loch - 17 July 2020
I also managed to photo the following in and around the loch:

Redshank with Pochard and Tufted Duck

Ringed Greylag Goose

Grey Heron

Blackcap (playing hide & seek!)
I'm pleased, that despite the lockdown which limited my visits, I have managed to see 66 bird species at Hogganfield Park LNR this year.

My sole visit to Dawsholm Park LNR was a bit disappointing from a birding point of view but I did see this Red Fox

Red Fox 
Nevertheless my year bird list for Dawsholm Park LNR stands at 45.

Moving on to Bingham's Pond and it was nice to find that the Tufted Ducks had bred again this year. Although subject to predation by the local Lesser Black-backed Gulls it looks as if at least 2 ducklings will make it. Meanwhile, sadly, two of the Mute Swan cygnets have been lost.

Tufted Duck family

Tufted duckling

Mute Swan family

Remarkably, for such a small area, I have recorded 41 species at Bingham's Pond already this year.

With autumn approaching(!), I wonder what will turn up next?

No comments:

Post a Comment