Monday 5 August 2019

Butterflies (and other insects) Galore

Edited 7 August 2019 to add photo of hide at Skinflats.

Since my last post, the Greater Glasgow area (and the rest of the country) has been inundated with Painted Lady butterflies - see the following photos


Our garden - 28/7/19

Neighbour's garden - 28/7/19

Other insects have also been recorded including this Brimstone Moth …

Our garden - 25/7/19

and a variety of bees and hoverflies feeding on knapweed, again in our garden





I have managed a few days birding locally at Bingham's Pond, Hogganfield Park LNR, Cardowan Moss LNR and Frankfield Loch LNR but the overcast conditions weren't conducive to photography. I did manage a photo of the Tufted Ducks (female and youngster)


at Bingham's Pond on 31/7/19 and this Lapwing (one of c300) at Frankfield Loch on 29/7/19


We also travelled through to the Forth estuary on Sunday (4th) with Stephen and managed a good few birds including a breeding plumaged Red-necked Grebe off the sea-wall at Musselburgh - no decent photos as I left my camera at home, thanks to the forecast of rain. However, I did manage a photo with my phone of this 'hide' at Skinflats. Totally impractical and more likely to be an 'art installation'.


Finally, I also managed to fit in a visit to Dawsholm Park LNR in my role as chair of the Friends of Glasgow's LNRs following litter concerns raised by locals via the Friends FaceBook page. I spotted additional maintenance issues and have contacted the Council; photographs of some of the issues are available via this link Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment