Friday 28 June 2019

Local Birding and another Rarity

Please click on the photos to create a slide show and enhanced viewing

It has been a busy 10 days since my last post with year and patch ticks …

Starting on the 18th, I travelled to Frankfield Loch by train (to Stepps) and then walked to Cardowan Moss LNR and Hogganfield Park LNR …..

At Frankfield, I managed better views of the Blue-winged Teal 



before heading for Cardowan Moss LNR ..



.. where I saw a range of common woodland birds, butterflies and damselflies. This Grey Heron, in one of the ponds, was a bit of a surprise …


I carried on to Hogganfield Park LNR where I spotted this colour-ringed Greylag Goose.


Turns out it was ringed in 2003 in Gloucestershire and is part of the moulting flock that arrives at Hogganfield Loch every year from Slimbridge/Gloucestershire!

On the 23rd, I helped at the Friends of Glasgow's LNRs wildfowl feeding event at Hogganfield Park LNR and then led a guided walk on their behalf to Cardowan Moss LNR 


Pink-footed Goose - Hogganfield

Great Crested Grebe with young on its back - Hogganfield

Large Red Damselfly - Cardowan

On Wednesday, we travelled with Judith and Mike to the River Kelvin near Torrance and Balmore Pool ..

River Kelvin

Balmore Pool

There wasn't much on the Pool but the river corridor played host to a range of farmland birds such as Yellowhammer and Tree Sparrow and warblers, including this Sedge Warbler….


Returning to the car we decided to make a quick stop in the Millichen area where we got even better views of Yellowhammer and Tree Sparrow 



Finally, on the 27th I managed some birding with Stuart, Sandy and Haitham at Hogganfield Park LNR and Frankfield Loch before returning to accompany 'Green Flag' judges and Council staff around Hogganfield.

Hogganfield Park LNR was looking great in the sunshine..


and we saw at least 38 bird species including young Swallows.


Heading off to Frankfield Loch we were surprised to find a Little Egret present - a probable first for the City of Glasgow and my 148th species seen within the City boundary. I managed a distant record shot of the egret .. 



Frankfield Loch

I had to leave Frankfield earlier than I would have wished as it would have been good to explore further - other birds included Ringed Plover and Common Sandpiper. However, I had to get back to Hogganfield Park to join Council officers and the 'Green Flag' judges. Hopefully, they were impressed enough to renew the LNRs Green Flag status. 



No comments:

Post a Comment