Thursday 28 February 2019

Back to earth with some Local Birding

After the excitement of our cruise, we have got back to some local birding with the highlight being a RSPB Glasgow Group outing to Ayrshire.  We got a good few 'year ticks' - Black-throated Diver, Pale-bellied Brent Geese, Purple Sandpiper, Scaup and Little Egret - plus this 'Scottish mainland tick' - a Chough, near Turnberrry Point ..


Chough - 23/02/19

We also managed through to the east coast, thanks Stephen, where this Shag posed nicely in Dunbar Harbour …


Shag - 24/02/19

.. and also, yesterday, to Fairlie, with Judith and Mike. No photos but excellent views of Little Egret and 2 Greenshank.

Locally, I have visited Bingham's Pond, where this Grey Heron posed for photos, and ..

Grey Heron -  22/02/19

… also Hogganfield Loch twice; firstly for the Friends of Glasgow's LNRs wildfowl feeding event and then early this week for a spot of birding...….

Wildfowl Feeding  - 17/02/19

Hogganfield Loch  - 25/02/19


 On the 25th, I recorded 39 species including this ringed Mute Swan



I have sent off the ring details and hopefully I'll find out the history of this bird in the near future. UPDATE - swan ringed as a youngster at Hogganfield Park on 26/11/16.

So, I'll end my post with this little piece of info - my year (2019) Scottish list stands at 90. For comparison, our 16 days on holiday resulted in closer to 190 - hopefully I'll reach 200 in Scotland by the end of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment