Tuesday 23 October 2018

Birdwatcher's Shoulder!

Firstly, a reminder to click on the photos to get an enhanced view and slideshow.

Since my last post I have suffered from what I've termed 'birdwatcher's shoulder'. Whilst restricting my birdwatching, for example I've stopped carrying a 'scope and tripod, it hasn't forced me to stop!

I joined the RSPB Glasgow Group for one of their 'East Coast Magic' trips and this proved to be very pleasant albeit the winds didn't help so there were no rarities to be found. No pictures either as I left my camera at home.

Back in Glasgow, I managed a couple of visits to Hogganfield Park LNR on the 15th and 22nd and was rewarded with 3 birds I had never seen in the LNR before - Common Tern, Skylark and Jay. This brings my life list for the LNR to 104 and my year list to 80; not bad for a park less than 2 miles from Glasgow City Centre.


Common Tern - 15/10/18

Common Tern - 15/10/18

Other birds included Buzzard and Kestrel which were seen on both visits ….


Buzzard - 15/10/18

Kestrel - 15/10/18

I was pleased to see that more Whooper Swans had arrived, from Iceland ... 

Whooper Swans - 15/10/18

… and it was good to see a family group on the 22nd ….


Whooper Swan family group (2 adults and 4 juveniles) with Mute Swans - 22/10/18

I also managed to find a 'rarity' on the loch in the form of a distant Slavonian Grebe ..

Distant record shot of Slavonian Grebe - 15/10/18

So despite my dodgy shoulder I've still managed to get out and about and see some good birds.

You too could also see dome good birds if you come along to the Friends of Glasgow's LNRs wildfowl feeding event at Hogganfield Park LNR on Sunday 28 October 2018 from 11am. For more info see - 
https://friendsofglasgowlnrs.wordpress.com/

or
https://www.facebook.com/friendsofglasgowlocalnaturereserves








No comments:

Post a Comment