Thursday 26 May 2016

Birding in Glasgow

Spent time birding in Glasgow this week.

On Tuesday called in at Bingham's Pond hoping to see cygnets and I wasn't disappointed ...

 
with the resident pair proudly looking after their 6 'babies'!
 
I also added to my year 'pond' list with Swift and Starling being joined by Oystercatcher. I have seen and heard them locally so knew they were around; nevertheless this was a nice surprise ....
 
 
My day was made when I saw a Blue Tit pop its head out of one of the Friends of Glasgow's LNRs nest boxes ......
 
 
The next day I headed for the Millichen area to check out the farmland birds. There were 130+ Starling, including youngsters and a few House Sparrow, Yellowhammer and Reed Bunting. However, the star bird has to be the Tree Sparrow with at least 4 pairs, three of which were using nest boxes that I had helped get erected when I was leader of the RSPB Glasgow Local Group ................
 
 
From Millichen I walked along the banks of the River Kelvin to Summerston encountering Blackcap, Willow Warbler, Whitethroat and Garden Warbler ................

Garden Warbler - 25 May 2016
 
However, the biggest surprise was this Whooper Swan, which should, by now, be back in Iceland  .........
 
Whooper Swan - 25 May 2016
 
For more information and images of the birds and other wildlife of Bingham's Pond, the River Kelvin and the Millichen area, why not come along to my free illustrated talk in Hillhead Library on Tuesday 21 June at 6.30pm - part of Glasgow's West End Festival.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment