Monday 25 January 2016

Highlights of a dark, dismal January!!!

Since my last post, in amongst the dark, dismal, drizzle of a Scottish winter I've had a couple of  highlights!

Last Thursday (21st), I was the guest speaker at the Queens Park Camera Club and was made to feel most welcome - so a big thank you to everyone that attended.

On the birding front I've managed a couple of visits to Bingham's Pond and yesterday (24th) two Ring-necked Parakeets flew over. This was my 4th sighting of this species at Bingham's with two sightings in 2013 and one sighting in 2014. However, on these occasions only one bird was seen.

Ring-necked Parakeet - Bingham's Pond - 22 Nov 2013

The parakeets helped increase my 'Pond Year List' to 24 species. How many will I see this year and how will it compare to previous years? For example, I saw 37 species in 2012; 41 in 2013; 45 in 2014 and 40 in 2015.

Talking of sightings, other recent sightings from Greater Glasgow, courtesy of SOC Clyde Grapevine:

Saturday 23 January 2016
A drake Green-winged Teal  still on Banton Loch, Kilsyth.
A Jack Snipe at Windlaw Marsh; nearby, a pair of Stonechats at Cathkin Marsh SWT Reserve.
A Woodcock at Kittoch Bridge flood storage, near Busby.


Friday 22 January 2016
A male Stonechat at Cathkin Marsh SWT Reserve.


Thursday 21 January 2016
A Jay at the cattle sheds in Pollok Country Park.
A Jay flying over the M77 at Silverburn, Glasgow.


Wednesday 20 January 2016
A Pink-footed Goose at Hogganfield Loch.
A Stonechat at Gartloch Pool.
Four Otters on White Cart Water at Linn Park in the morning.










4 comments:

  1. Not a member and I'm not sure how to start a new thread. I've just noticed a few hundred dark coloured geese in a field on the left next to the road immediately prior to kirkintilloch. This may interest you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrew. Thanks for getting in touch. This is my personal blog so there is nothing to join, nor can you create a new thread. I am aware of a flock of Pink-footed Geese being in the area along with some Greylags and Canada Geese. A useful site, if you aren't a member already, is the Clydebirds Facebook site. You can join, start new threads and post photos. Thanks again for reading and commenting on my blog.

    ReplyDelete