Friday 24 October 2014

Hogganfield Park in the Rain

Today, I visited Hogganfield Park LNR in Glasgow, partly as a recce for Sunday's Friends of Glasgow's LNRs event at the park (see http://friendsofglasgowlnrs.wordpress.com for more details) and partly because I hadn't been for a wee while.

I saw 36 species of bird and a few Roe Deer but sadly the weather wasn't conducive to good photography.

The highlights had to be a Chiffchaff, close to where we shall be scattering wild bird food on Sunday; 15 Gadwall, close to the viewing/feeding platform where we shall be giving away free barley to feed the wildfowl; and the arrival of Whooper Swans. When I arrived at the loch there were 3 birds present - one adult, close to the platform and a presumed pair in the middle of the loch. Whilst walking around the Avenue End Road edge of the LNR I saw and heard 14 Whoopers flying overhead from the direction of Frankfield Loch towards the loch at Hogganfield. However, by the time I got myself back to the loch, there were only three additional birds - two adults and a juvenile.

I have since heard that 14 Whooper Swans had been seen at Frankfield Loch in the morning - presumably the same birds I saw fly overhead.

Despite the constant drizzle, I couldn't resist taking another few photos of a Whooper Swan ...


 
Why not pop along on Sunday and see them for yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment