Thursday 21 August 2014

Frankfield to Hogganfield - a photographic delight

Well how do you find a new way of describing another visit to the Frankfield Loch/Cardowan Moss LNR/Hogganfield Park LNR triumvirate of wildlife sites?

I can't so here goes! On Tuesday (19th) I arrived at Frankfield Loch in the middle of the afternoon; it was still bright and sunny although water levels were quite high ................

 
......... there were only 22 Lapwing present, huddled together in small groups fighting for space on the small areas of exposed mud. As I left another 36 flew in trying to find space to land! So not enough mud, YET, for species such as Greenshank and Ruff which are starting to turn up elsewhere in Scotland - hopefully, if the water levels drop over the next week or so, a range of wader species will start to utilise this excellent site, as they did last year.
 
In addition to the usual wildfowl, there were 2 Shoveler present.
 
Leaving Frankfield Loch, I entered the Cardowan Moss LNR and walked along its extensive path network visiting two ponds on my way ......
 


 
....... I encountered a large 'tit' flock consisting of Blue Tits, Great Tits, Long-tailed Tits, Goldcrests and Willow Warblers but very few other bird species. However, there were a good few Peacock butterflies ...............
 
 
....as well as numerous (35+) Common Darter dragonflies .....
 

 
I left Cardowan arriving at Hogganfield Park in the early evening ....
 
 
I was pleased to note a group of 3 Gadwall (another 2 were seen later) .................
 
 
....a young Great Crested Grebe, here next to a female Tufted Duck .........
 
 
.. and a nice range of wildflowers attracting a host of insects .....
 
 
My visit was sadly hampered by a really HEAVY rain shower but eventually it passed, leaving a nice rainbow ...............
 
 
As it was now getting late and with the light starting to fade, I decided to leave but not before I managed this shot of a Pochard ................
 
 
A nice way to end the day!
 
PS for those interested in numbers, 36 bird species were seen in total.
 
 
 

1 comment: