Thursday 14 August 2014

Baron's Haugh and Garden Predator

Firstly another reminder that the photos on each post can be viewed as slide show by clicking on a photo.

Yesterday (13th), I travelled by train to Baron's Haugh RSPB Reserve on the edge of Motherwell.

As ever, I got views of common woodland birds, such as this Chaffinch ....

 
...... butterflies could also be seen with Peacock being the most prominent ....
 

 
Common Darter dragonflies also could be seen .......
 

 

 
However,  Baron's Haugh is renowned for its wetlands and the views of wetland birds from its 4 brick built hides ......
 
View from Marsh Hide

 View from Phoenix Hide
 
View from Centenary Hide
 
The highlights for me were the waders with 2 Greenshank, a Ruff, a Green Sandpiper and Lapwing seen from the Marsh Hide. From the Centenary Hide I could see 2 Ruff (one can just be made out in the photo above), 2 Dunlin and Lapwing.
 
So yet another enjoyable visit to this RSPB Reserve only 35 minutes from Glasgow city centre.
 
On my return home, I encountered a female Sparrowhawk in our garden. My wife had been watching it for at least 45 minutes and I managed to photo and video it as it remained for at least another 30 minutes! It was clearly hungry and nothing was going to separate it from its meal .......
 

 
The pictures are perhaps a bit gruesome but help illustrate 'nature in the raw'.
 
And finally, courtesy of SOC Clyde Grapevine:
 
12 August 2014
An adult Mediterranean Gull in winter plumage at Frankfield Loch, Glasgow at 2020 hrs.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment