Sunday 13 July 2014

Local Twitch and Wetland Bird Survey

On Friday (11 July 2014), I decided to 'twitch' the adult Spotted Sandpiper that had been found on the River Clyde at Baron's Haugh RSPB Reserve.

After a few minutes walking along the riverside walkway I was surprised to find these two birds ...

2 Whooper Swans - 11 July 2014
 
... one of which had a damaged wing.
 
Thereafter, I saw a family group of Goosander .......
 
 
... at least 3 Common Sandpiper and a very obliging Kingfisher; but no sign of the Spotted Sandpiper. Eventually, after at least 2 hours, it showed itself and I managed these two record shots, all at some distance and into the sunlight  ......
 
 

 
Today, it was the Wetland Birds Survey (WEBs) and I arrived at Bingham's Pond fairly early to undertake my count.

The best bird was a Little Grebe, my first at the Pond this year.


There were 3 young Coot plus 1 Mallard and 2 Tufted duckling as well as a few Moorhen youngsters .......................

 
Apart from the wildfowl, I recorded Woodpigeon, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit and Robin whilst this young Magpie showed no fear as it sat just a few feet away ....
 
 
They may not be everyone's favourite but when you look closely the colours are stunning.
 
So with adding Little Grebe, my year list for the Pond now stands at 45 bird species - will I reach 50?

No comments:

Post a Comment