Sunday 25 May 2014

Weekly Update (w/e 25 May 2014)

Yet another busy week birding!

On Monday (19th) I visited Dawsholm Park LNR to check out the nest boxes erected by the Friends of Glasgow's LNRs (http://friendsofglasgowlnrs.wordpress.com) and I wasn't disappointed.

Eight of the eleven 'tit' boxes were occupied (4 pairs of Blue Tits and 4 pairs of Great Tits); whilst one of the five 'starling' boxes was occupied, albeit by a Great Tit family!

Although concentrating on the nest boxes I did manage some general birding and saw 25 bird species in total - with my year total for the LNR being 39.

I also managed to pop along to Bingham's Pond adding Swift and Starling to my 'pond year list' which now stands at 43 species!

A bit further afield on Tuesday as I caught a train to Cardross and spent c3 hours scanning the estuary from the 'path' that runs westwards along the river's edge.


This proved to be a super day once the tide started to come in. This brought in waders including 1 Whimbrel, 2 Sanderling, 4 Turnstone, 60+ Dunlin and 100+ Ringed Plover as well as the usual Oystercatchers and Curlew. I didn't have my normal camera but had brought along my wife's and tried some digi-scoping resulting in the following efforts  ......

Sanderling
 
Dunlin, Sanderling and Ringed Plover
 
I also managed to spot 3 Wheatear in an adjoining field, whilst off-shore there were c50 Common Terns and at least 8 Gannets actively feeding. Thirty four Red-breasted Merganser and 2 displaying male Goldeneye added to the mix. In total, 37 species identified!
 
On Wednesday it was back to birding locally with a visit to Millichen and Possil Marsh. The area known as Millichen Flood was looking good .......................
 
 
... and played host to birds such as Sedge Warbler and Reed Bunting. In total, I recorded 24 bird species in the Millichen area.
 
On Thursday, I helped with a recce of the Loch Katrine area and was pleased to find 5 Spotted Flycatchers and a small flock of Crossbill. We had time to venture further afield and at the RSPB's Garrison Farm we added Hooded Crow and Whinchat and eventually managed a Pied Flycatcher at Inversnaid. Thanks to Mike and Judith.
 
Despite my stamina beginning to wane, I attended the Kelvingrove Park BioBlitz on Friday and managed to record c20 common bird species. The highlight, however, was the bat walk in the evening when we saw and heard two species of bat!
 
And finally, an interesting local bird sighting courtesy of the SOC Clyde Grapevine:
 
21 May 2014
A Ring-necked Parakeet at the Milngavie road end of Kilmardinny Avenue, Bearsden at 1140 hrs.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment