Tuesday 21 May 2013

West Highland Way - Milngavie to Carbeth (and back!)

Yesterday (20 May 2013) I decided to believe the weather forecast and went for a long walk along the West Highland Way (WHW). Thankfully it proved correct with it probably being the warmest day of the year albeit, for long periods, overcast.

Soon after leaving Milngavie, I could hear resident species such as Blackbirds, Song Thrush, Wren and Robin all singing loudly and proudly. However, the star was the long distant migrant, the Willow Warbler and its beautiful song. 

However, I had hoped for a few 'new' summer migrants to add to my 'year' list and was rewarded with 2 Garden Warbler soon after leaving the Allander Water. 

When I reached Mugdock Woods.............................

WHW at Mugdock Woods - 20 May 2013
 
......I was pleased to see a carpet of Bluebells...................................................
 
 
A bit further along.....................................................

 
WHW at Mugdock Woods - 20 May 2013
 
..............I was even more pleased when I heard the unmistakable song of a Wood Warbler. My patience was rewarded when I eventually saw two of these stunning little birds - my second new bird for the year!
 
Moving on, I eventually reached Craigallion Loch, just south of the huts at Carbeth......
 
Craigallion Loch - 20 May 2013
 
I had hoped for Osprey but had no luck with the only raptor being a couple of Buzzards. Here migrants included Tree Pipit, Whitethroat and Swallow all of which were showing well whilst in the distance I could hear a Cuckoo.
 
On the return walk I managed some poor photos of a couple of butterflies - a Peacock and a Green-veined White. Whilst there were lots of Orange Tips they never settled long enough for a photo!
 
Peacock - 20 May 2013
Green-veined White - 20 May 2013
 
All in all, it was a very enjoyable walk in some beautiful countryside and, as a bonus, I saw and/or heard at least 31 bird species.
 
I also encountered lots of friendly walkers, many from abroad and carrying huge rucksacks, just emphasising the popularity of the West Highland Way. If you haven't tried it, give it a go!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment