Thursday 10 May 2018

Spring has sprung, more or less

My wife and I have been away for a few days attending a music festival and were pleased to see some of 'our' migrants. Hopefully, they make it to the Greater Glasgow area ...........


Spotted Flycatcher, Ibiza

On our return, I visited Hogganfield Park LNR and was pleased to see both Great Crested Grebes and Coot nesting on the Biohavens that were launched over the last few years ......


Great Crested Grebe on nest - 3/5/18

I then had a walk along the West Highland Way from Milngavie to Carbeth adding birds such as Cuckoo, Wood Warbler and Tree Pipit to my 'year list'. I also had a good chat with another birder, Andrew.


Wood Warbler - WHW at Mugdock Wood - 6/5/18

Craigallian Loch from WHW - 6/5/18

Garden Warbler - WHW 6/5/18

On Monday, we both travelled to the Loch Lomond and Trossachs NP area, thanks to Peter, calling into various woodlands and lochs ....

Cashel Woods - 7/5/18

... the highlights being a male Pied Flycatcher in Ross Wood and the carrot cake in the Pier Café!

And finally we both travelled by train and met up with Judith and Mike and had a nice walk in Balloch Castle CP, albeit it was rather cold for the time of year and rain eventually stopped play!

Over this period, 3-8 May 2018, I recorded c70 species and it was good to see a few more summer migrants and add them to my year list although I am still lacking Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler and Grasshopper Warbler - Hogganfield Park LNR here I come!

2 comments:

  1. Saw both a Sedge Warbler and a Whitethroat on the Allander Walkway in Milngavie a couple of days ago. Check from Murray Park till just after the Prescott Bridge. Female Blackcap and Willow Warbler also there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info. As hoped, I managed to see Whitethroat (4) and a Sedge Warbler at Hogganfield Park LNR today.

      Delete