Wednesday 25 October 2017

East Coast Magic 2017 - part 2

Yesterday (24th) I travelled up to Aberdeen to visit another potential migrant hotspot - Girdle Ness. From Aberdeen bus station, I crossed the road to catch a FirstBus No.12 to the Torry area of the City.

From the bus stop I walked north towards the mouth of the River Dee and walked along Greyhopes Road towards Torry Point Battery and then the Lighthouse where the road was closed as part of a major scheme to enlarge Aberdeen harbour.


Looking towards the south breakwater
 
Sadly, there weren't too many birds around but I still managed around 30 species including a few surprises. This Gannet looked totally out of place resting on the sea shore .....
 
 
Walking along the coastal path, I managed a few photos of some of the waders on the rocks below me .............
 
Turnstones

Redshank
 
I had hoped for a few lingering migrants from the easterlies last week, but only managed a few Robins, Blackbird and Song Thrush, although a male Stonechat was a nice find.
 
On reaching the south breakwater, I used my camera to act as a 'scope and managed to prove that these gulls were in fact Kittiwakes .........
 

 
Having walked as far as I could, the road/path being closed due to the major works, I retraced my steps paying even more attention to the bushes and shrubs but sadly no new species. However, when looking down on Greyhope Bay I spotted a movement and although anticipating a Rock Pipit I had a quick look and was surprised to find a Black Redstart!

Greyhope Bay

It kept moving from rock to rock but I did manage this record shot at maximum zoom and heavily cropped ...

Black Redstart

This was my last bird of the day and a nice way to finish another day's birding using public transport.

Finally a plea to all those that read this blog. Hogganfield Park LNR is one of my favourite birdwatching sites, hence the separate page devoted to it - click the 'button' at the top of the page.

It has been nominated as best park in Scotland. You can vote for it by clicking on the following link and then scrolling down until you reach Hogganfield Park. As far as I am aware, a LNR has never won the best park award in Scotland, so it would be great if Hogganfield were to do so. It would be good publicity for the LNR and might even generate some welcome investment from the public sector! Please vote athttp://www.fieldsintrust.org/bestpark/scotland

No comments:

Post a Comment