Saturday 20 May 2017

Year Listing and Exhibitions

At the beginning of 2017, like lots of people, I wondered how many birds could I see, in Scotland, in a year. Needless to say this takes a lot of planning, goodwill and luck; it also helps if you are retired!

So on Sunday (14th) I headed off to Baron's Haugh RSPB reserve on the River Clyde and the nearby Carbarns Pool to try to add to my list. The reserve was busier than usual with a good few folk all trying to see the reported Great White Egrets. I was lucky. After about 5 minutes one came into view - it had been feeding in a channel not visible from the hide - stood for a few moments and then flew off!

I managed this awful record shot of it flying towards Merryton .................


From Baron's Haugh, I walked along the River Clyde walkway towards Carbarns Pool and saw a distant wader. I was told by other birders, standing next to a large electricity pylon, that it was the Wood Sandpiper that we had all been hoping for. I always like to be sure about bird sightings and managed to get a closer look from the other side of the pool without disturbing any of the birds. Again, an awful record shot but enough to convince me I was looking at a Wood Sandpiper .......


On walking back along the river bank, towards the other birders still at the pylon, I was pleased to find my 'own' Garden Warbler, which meant 3 'new' birds for the day and year list of 181.

On Wednesday, we joined the RSPB Glasgow Group on their trip to Sallochy - thanks to Judith and Mike. I didn't take my camera on this trip and as usually happens when I do this, we got good views of Wood Warbler, Redstart and Pied Flycatcher!

The facilities at Sallochy have been improved and there are toilets and a range of interpretation signs - phone photos follow ...


 
On Thursday I popped down to the Kibble Palace in Glasgow's Botanic Gardens to check out the 'Kelvin in the Kibble Exhibition' and the Friends of Glasgow's LNRs display ..
 
 
The exhibition runs until 30 May 2017.

Finally, on Friday, I was invited by the RSPB Glasgow office to the launch of the 'Dear Green Futures' exhibition, this time in Kelvingrove Museum. It was good to meet lots of like minded people and applaud the winners of their photographic competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment