Thursday 16 November 2017

Bird Lists and More

Birding started in our garden when on the 8th and 9th, a male Blackcap was seen. The following photo was taken through a 'dirty' window in poor light! That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! ...



Since then, I've paid two visits to Hogganfield Park LNR - one with the Friends of Glasgow's LNRs on the 12th (https://www.facebook.com/friendsofglasgowlocalnaturereserves) and the other on the 15th with the RSPB Glasgow Local Group(http://www.rspb.org.uk/groups/glasgow/reports/448457/).

Both trips were memorable with Ruddy Duck seen on both occasions ............


...and on the 15th, I bagged my 100th species for Hogganfield Park LNR - a Stock Dove!

In between, I made an ambitious trip to try and see the Greenland White-fronted Goose flock near Croftamie by using public transport AND, thankfully, I was successful.

For those interested in the detail, it involved a train from Anniesland to Maryhill to catch the B10 (the Glasgow Buchanan Street to Balfron Service) on Maryhill Road. I got off in Killearn and walked a few yards to the B9 bus stop and waited c15 minutes for the scheduled Balfron to Croftamie to Balfron circular service. At Croftamie I walked along a cycleway towards a minor road and then explored the narrow lanes and roads before returning to Croftamie to catch the B9 back to Balfron and, within 2 minutes, the B10 back to Glasgow. I've proved it can be done but please double-check the timetables before attempting it!

I saw just over 30 species on this walk with good views of finches, tits and winter thrushes ....

Redwing, near Croftamie
 
But best of all, I caught up with the White-fronted goose flock, special thanks to Ian Fulton, and one even flew over my head ....
 
Greenland White-fronted Goose, near Croftamie
 
The 'goose' was the 211th species I've seen in Scotland this year!
 
Other sightings, courtesy of the SOC Clyde Grapevine:
 
Wednesday 15 November 2017
Nuthatches back at the feeders in the walled garden at Pollok Country Park.

Sunday 12 November 2017
Ten Ring-necked Parakeets going to roost at Victoria Park, Glasgow.
Two Jays in woodland near Colzium, Kilsyth.
A Jay in Waulkmill Glen, Glasgow.


Saturday 11 November 2017
Still large numbers of wildfowl on Woodend Loch, Coatbridge, including 60 Gadwall, 250 Wigeon and a remarkable 600 Coot.
28 Ravens at Bennan Loch, near Newton Mearns in the afternoon, also two Woodcock leaving their roost at dusk.







 

1 comment:

  1. Wowsers, 28 ravens!! Since seeing and being awed by the captive raven at Blairdrummond Safari Park I've been keeping an eye open to try to spot one in the wild (suspecting I've only actually seen crows, rooks etc). I've visited a couple of LNR's and so on, but not really a bird watcher, just interested.

    ReplyDelete